- 2 lbs shrimp, size 16-20
- 2 minced shallots, divided
- 8 smashed garlic cloves, divided
- ¼ bulb of fennel
- ½ bunch fresh thyme sprigs, divided
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 tbsp fennel pollen
- Extra virgin olive oil, as needed
- 3 tbsp clarified butter
- 6 ears of corn
- 1 jalapeño, seeded, deveined & minced
- 4 plum tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ cup smoked paprika
- ½ cup canola oil
- Salt and pepper
Method for Charred Corn Salad
- Clean the corn and remove from cob. Place in a bowl and toss with enough olive oil to lightly coat, remaining shallot, 2 thyme sprigs, minced jalapeno, salt and pepper. Roast at 350ᵒ for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Transfer to a bowl and season with additional salt, pepper and extra virgin olive oil.
Method for Fennel Pollen Dusted Shrimp
- In a small sauce pot, place 1 cup olive oil, 1 minced shallot, 4 smashed garlic cloves, ¼ fennel bulb, leaves from 6 sprigs fresh thyme and ½ sprig fresh rosemary. Simmer to 200ᵒ for 30 minutes or until all the aromatics are tender.
- Puree in blender and cool. Use as a marinade for the shrimp over night.
- When ready to cook, season the shrimp with salt, pepper and a liberal amount of fennel pollen.
- Gently sauté in clarified butter until just cooked through.
Method for Smoked Chili Oil
- Whisk together the smoked paprika and canola oil in a small pot. Heat to 160ᵒ for 30 minutes. Strain oil through a fine sieve lined with a coffee filter and allow to drip over night.
Method for Tomato Confit
- Cut plum tomatoes into quarters
- Submerge in extra virgin olive oil. Add 4 sprigs of thyme, remaining garlic and bay leaves.
- Braise in oven at 225ᵒ for 4 hours. Let cool and remove excess oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon a small potion of corn salad on the bottom per plate. Top each with shrimp and confit tomatoes. Garnish with a drizzle of smoked chili oil.