- 5.5 oz portions of halibut (skin off)
- 1 cup blanched French chestnuts
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 2 oz french brandy
- 1 tablespoon shallot (minced)
- 12 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups parsnips (peeled and cut into large dice)
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 4 sage leaves
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Method for parsnips:
- In a small pot, add parsnips, 3 sprigs thyme, bay leaf, 2 smashed garlic cloves, milk and a pinch of salt.
- Boil until very tender ( about 12 minutes).
- Once tender, strain and remove herbs. Place parsnips back into pot and add ¼ cup heavy cream and bring to a boil for 2 minutes (save cooking liquid to adjust consistency if needed).
- Pour parsnips into blender and puree on high. Add 2 tablespoons of whole butter.
- Adjust consistency with reserved liquid to make a thick sauce.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
Method for chestnuts:
- Roughly chop chestnuts.
- Preheat a large sauté pan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon butter.
- Add chestnuts and sauté for 2 minutes, then add 2 garlic cloves (minced), 4 thyme sprigs and shallots. Sauté for 3 minutes.
- Deglaze & flambé the brandy. Once brandy is reduced, add remaining heavy cream and reduce by half.
- Remove herbs and place all other ingredients in blender and puree on high until smooth. Blend in 2 tablespoons of butter, then adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
Method for brown butter vinaigrette
- In a tall sauce pot, add 4 tablespoons butter cubed and sage. Whisk over high heat until butter begins to foam and brown, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and SLOWLY add vinegars while whisking, followed by lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
Method for halibut
- Season all sides of fish with salt and pepper.
- Preheat a sauté pan over high heat and add 2 tablespoons of canola oil.
- Sear fish presentation side down and lower heat to medium, cook for 3 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons butter, 3 sprigs fresh thyme and 2 smashed garlic cloves.
- Lower heat to low, flip fish and spoon butter and herbs over fish for 2 minutes.
- Remove from pan and allow fish to rest for 2 minutes before serving.